December 13, 2016

THE VINTAGE OVEN + CHESTNUTS


Since I have lived in Brooklyn for six years, I thought I’d love to live somewhere quiet. I currently live in Queens and I really love the new area that has everything I need. Just one hundred steps. My partner, Jacob and I moved into a historical building that was built in 1937. We discovered a cool vintage oven in our kitchen. We both love it because oftentimes you don’t see such oven in any new or old buildings. Turns out it’s decent and functional. However, it requires a match to ignite. When we do that, it is like waking a dragon! Freaked us out at first, but we have gotten used to it. We totally do not mind the explosive oven at all! 



Who doesn’t love chestnuts? After I did my research, some claimed 425 degrees for either twenty or thirty minutes. The vintage oven, from 1960’s, will be quite hotter so I am going to bake the chestnuts at 400 degrees for twenty minutes instead. I learned my mistake from yesterday, when I baked them and they turned out unchewable! 


With a proper small sharp knife, make an incision over the dome-side to prevent them from exploding. A lot of work for the countless of chestnuts I had here, but it was all worth it! It was a very meditative process of focusing on each nut. Each one was different in shape and shades of brown.

This is the result after baking. I could feel the warmth of roasted chestnuts in my hand. After letting them cool down and I peeled them while they are still warm. The apartment was filled with the smell of roasted chestnuts.


I savored the pleasantly sweet and flavorful chestnut. Nothing else but chestnuts. They would be perfect as a holiday treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment