February 27, 2017

Tang Yuan Soup At Home

Hey everyone! Hope you've been doing well. If you've been following me on Instagram, I love the Tang Yuan soup. I learned that Tang Yuan means Winter Solstice Soup. I first learned how to make it from scratch a several years ago. I haven't made it in a quite while, but I had an opportunity to make it again. I asked my fiancĂ© to get involved in the process, just rolled the glutinous rice flour into a ball while adding a diced of brown candy. What a super super fun. Have you done it before? Did you like it? It was my all-time favorite soup when my mom cooked it as a kid. Admittedly, my mom was the best at it as she is today! 


Ingredients: 

8 cups water. To make soup. 
Two Chinese sausages. Sliced. 
Decent amount of baby bokchoy. ( you can choose any kind of vegetable ) 
A few slices of ginger. 
A few slices of garlic. 
Olive oil ( 1 tsp ) 
Salt to taste. 
A bag of Glutinous Rice Flour
Brown Candy Bars. 

Soup: 

1. A splash of olive oil, then throw diced Chinese sausages along with ginger and garlic in a large stick pot until they are slightly cooked. Add 8 cups of water and cover until it simmers. Let it simmer for at least 35 minutes. 

2. Add salt to taste. 

3. Place rice flour in a mixing bowl, add a little bit water at a time, until it turns into dry dough as long as it doesn't stick to your hands. Set dough at rest for 15-30 minutes. Covered in plastic wrap or rag. 

A bag of Glutinous Rice Flour. ( can be found at asian supermarket ) 
Diced Brown Candy for filling. 


When dough is ready, just snap a 1 1/4 round and put a diced brown candy in the middle and roll into a ball by palm. Repeat the same. This is a really fun part. Then Place rolled dumplings on a smooth place. Make sure they don't stick to the bottom. 

Another a separated pot of water once the water is boiling. Drop one dumpling in at a time. Cook until all dumplings float. Appropriately 2 minutes. When they are done, remove with a sieve. If you don't have a sieve, use a colander.  


To serve 

Place dumplings as much as you desire in a soup bowl. I put 5 dumplings as you can see. 

This is my homecooked Tang Yuan Soup, so the recipes and methods out there may be various. It's perfect for those who want to coop in and savor during the winter time. Hope you will enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment